“Where do refunds go? Where did the money to cover this request come from? What happened with the funds of this cancelled request? Where can I see what my team is purchasing? Can I download this document?” These are some of the questions we receive when it’s time for you or your finance department to review your company’s expenses on Sunlight. However, is there a place where I can find a document with as much information as possible about the requests made by your company? The answer is YES!
If you’re a company admin, you’ll have access to the Billing section of your company’s profile. This is the place where you’ll find everything you need for your accounting (for more details, check out our article “Billing Overview”). Since you want to know more about the requests placed by the members of your company, we suggest: our Requests CSV, the holy grail of CSVs in Sunlight.
To find it and export it, all you need to do is go to your company’s profile, click on “Billing” and then click on the “Requests” tab. Select the date range you’re interested in checking out, and right next to the search box, click on the “Export CSV” button. This will trigger an email that you’ll receive with a temporary link to download the CSV.
When you download the document, we suggest opening it on Google Drive so that you see everything more clearly. Once you do it, you may find a lot of information but do not worry! We’ll explain everything from the first column until the last.
Let’s begin, it’s very simple! The first columns on the left provide basic information about a request:
- Order ID: this is the order number with which a request is identified.
- Resource: it's the name of the resource.
- Status: it shows the status of the request, no matter what it is (payment method issued, completed, cancelled or refunded).
- Created at: it shows you the date and time when the request was placed.
- Completed at: it shows you the date and time when the request was completed.
- User name:it's the name of the user who placed the request.
- User email: it's the email of the user who placed the request.
Next, we have the columns with the information that matters the most:
- Price: this is the price that was listed when the request was being created.
- Total paid: it shows the price that was successfully paid when Sunlight's card was used and the request was completed.
- Credit card charges: if your company has a credit card registered on Sunlight and it’s authorized to be used on users’ requests, then here’s where you’ll see the charges made to it, which occur when a request is approved or created automatically.
- Wallet debit: it shows how much money has been taken from the company wallet.
- Returned to wallet: whenever a request is cancelled, refunded or when its price is decreased, the funds are always returned to the company wallet and this is shown in this column.
Coming up we have more information about the user and the resource:
- Cohorts: it shows the cohorts to which the user belongs.
- Resource type: here you’ll see if the requested resource is a book, online course, event, offline course, etc.
- Resource category: you’ll find the category of the resource, whether it’s something related to business, technology, humanities, software, literature, etc.
- Provider’s name: it shows where the resource is from, for example: Amazon, Udemy, Eventbrite, Audible, etc.
- Invoice URL: if your company compels its members to upload the invoice to the completed request, or if a user simply decides to do this, here’s where the link of the corresponding document will be found.
To answer a few questions you might have:
What is the benefit of exporting this CSV?
As mentioned above, this CSV is very useful when it’s time to review your company’s expenses. We would particularly suggest using this for reconciliation purposes because it keeps track of the payments that were made with the card (if applicable) and/or with the company wallet. It also lets you know if a request was refunded or cancelled, when it was charged, how much was paid, etc.
Additionally, this document is convenient for having all the invoices one click away, looking over at what type of resources and categories your employees spend the most on, getting to know which cohorts have been using their Sunlight more, among other great things.
In short, the Requests’ CSV keeps everything more transparent, organized and in one place.
Who has access to this section?
As a company admin, you’ll automatically have access to this section of Billing. However, if you’d like to give access to a certain user, maybe a member of your finance team, you can do so by enabling the permission “Access to billing” in the user’s management modal. You can learn more about this modal in our article “Permissions and How They Work.”
What happens with the funds of cancelled or refunded requests?
For the time being, when a request is cancelled, refunded or its price is decreased the funds go back only to the company wallet. The same process is applied to companies that have a credit card registered and authorized to pay users’ requests.
How will the payment of a request work if my company has a credit card registered?
There are two possibilities when it comes to the payment of a request with a card: when there are funds in the company wallet and when there are not. If there are no funds in the company wallet, once a request is approved or created automatically, a charge will be made directly to the company’s card to cover the cost of the resource. However, if there are enough funds in the company wallet (from top-ups and/or cancelled or refunded requests) then, when a request gets created, the charge will be made first to the company wallet.
In whatever way the cost of the request gets covered, this will show in the CSV in the columns of “credit card charges” and/or “wallet debit.”
Can I deactivate the option of using our company credit card for users' requests?
Sure thing! If you go to the Billing section and click on the “Payment Methods” tab, which is where you must have registered your company’s card the first time, you’ll see a toggle button that reads “User company card in users’ requests”. Just deactivate this option and the card will no longer be used to cover the costs of requests.
Can I deactivate my company wallet?
At present, all Sunlight groups must always have an active company wallet.
Can I download my credit card charges and wallet debits separately?
Yes, you can! In the same Billing section, there are other two tabs called: card charges and wallet transactions. These tabs have the button of “Export CSV” at the same place as the “Requests” tab. So, all you need to do is click it and the document will be sent to you via email.